Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
From Before I Play
- Minotaur Fighters of Okawaru or Berserkers of Trog with axes are the easiest class/race for a new player. Make sure to use your God 'a'bilities when you get them!
- Always, always, always fight in a hallway if you can, and bring enemies to you (pick up stones and throw them with 'F'). Running out into the open is a great way to get killed.
- Learn the art of stairdancing. Enemies next to you when you climb stairs will follow you. Use this to lure them into a floor where everything else is already dead so you can divide and conquer.
- Everyone has access to the most powerful spell in the game. It's called "running away".
- Escape options in general are incredibly powerful, be that scrolls of teleport, cloaks of blinking, barachi leaps, what have you. Always keep in mind what you can do and where you can go if things go south.
- For spellcasters, Int is the godstat. For noncasters, it's Strength.
- If you feel trapped or doomed or start to tilt, step away and come back later. You may notice a plan or item or spell you forgot you had.