Final Fantasy XII
From Before I Play
- Get Golden Amulets as soon as possible to double your LP gain. Inactive party members still gain LP!
- Armor has several stats on it that you can't see until you buy it or equip it or something like that. Mystic Armor gives you +magic power, and so +MP by extension. Light Armor gives +HP, and Heavy Armor gives +attack power.
- Although you only need three characters, you can switch out live characters at any time. Completely ignoring characters would make them useless as back ups, but your other characters should be stronger to compensate. Definitely use the gambit system though.
- It'll be obvious who's coming and going, since they'll be labeled GUEST in the menu. You may lose other characters for a while, but they'll come back.
- The top half of the board is excellent for magic and buffs that are always on (HP +500, 10% less time to attack, etc) so I would concentrate on those as soon as you have all the Quickenings and the license for the best armor/weapon you have for each character. Quickenings double and then triple your MP, so even if you don't plan on relying on them, buy them first.
- Magic auto recovers. So spread the healing and buffing duties around so that no one character runs out.
- Get the license buffs. There are 3 10% faster buffs that, when combined with haste make for some kickass melee characters.
- Stick to each guy casting their owns buffs unless you want to do all the party buffing yourself.
- You can Chain Mirrorknights in the Feywood for tons of money.
- There is an item called the Nihopalaoa, an accessory that reverses what healing items do. Using a remedy with it equipped and will inflict every negative status effect that the target is not immune to. Very helpful against bosses and Hunts, as lots of them can at least have some negative status effects.
- There's also an accessory that doubles the healing effect of items. If a character dies, switch that character out to the inactive roster, give someone the accessory, and have them use a phoenix down on the dead character. (You can use items and cast healing spells on inactive characters.) The result will be a revive to 100% of HP, and you'll still have three active characters in the battle.
- If you want the best weapon in the game, consult some FAQs for the 4 chests that you must avoid. Only applies to base FFXII.
- The Chocobo Mark one in a snow map is invisible most of the time and elusive. You may remember him as a floating imp in FF4.