From Before I Play
- Don't be too worried about ammo conservation, the game is more likely to give you more when you're low. Same for health, but still try not to get hit. I'd recommend actively exploding cars when you see them, just so that they don't explode you later.
- Pretty much any weapon is better than the revolver the game starts you with, switch it out a.s.a.p.
- In fact, try out any new weapon you find. Some are bad, most are good, it'll probably come down to your preference. The weapons get better as you get further, so never be afraid to switch out.
- Grenades are dangerous, which is obvious. What's not obvious is that they'll explode if they hit an enemy or an inanimate object, like a cactus or a skull. Watch out for that.
- Mutations that give you a huge boost when you're just learning the game are rhino skin (+4 max hp), strong spirit (survive one deathblow, comes back when you get back to max hp on a subsequent level), and bloodlust (sometimes get an HP when you kill an enemy.). In addition, any mutations specifically for a weapon you already have are usually going to be pretty powerful (for example, bolt marrow if you already have a crossbow.). Lastly, Rabbit's paw (more drops) is always good.
- If you're really having a tough time parsing the action, it's fine to turn the screen shake down.
- It's important to be aggressive, but smartly aggressive. Enemies who are dead and who are actively being shot to death are a lot less dangerous, but don't rush out into a crowded room full of enemies unless you want to eat dirt. Sometimes you have to go ham just to find some cover, though.