From Before I Play
- Max out your movement abilities as soon as possible. There's a surprisingly large number of (combat) powers/abilities that are of fairly little practical use in the actual game, but being fast and mobile makes a huge difference. Airdashing in particular is well worth getting the hang of as soon as possible, and it generally is a much better idea to dodge attacks/projectiles altogether rather than trying to absorb them.
- Kill events can be a pain in the arse to get gold/platinum on because enemy spawns tend to be fairly random. Don't be surprised if it takes a lot of tries to get a decent score, and there are one or two you may need to resort to 'cheating' on if you want gold.
- The hunter's combo attack cannot be interrupted, so once you see it raise its claw to strike, diveroll out of the way and resume attacking once it's taken its swings.
- Using the function keys to switch between powers is much quicker than using the wheel thing. (Only goes for PC, obviously.)
- Despite Alex being a superpowered bruiser that can punch tanks so hard they explode, most if not all of the difficult/boss fights are best won jumping around like an idiot and using ranged attacks of some sort. Devastators can work in some cases, but require luck and/or good timing. Going toe to toe with boss-type enemies (i.e. those that have a separate health bar similar to Mercer's) really isn't a particularly hot idea. Again, mobility is key.
- Don't bother buying any of the "Combat abilities" as they mostly suck and are for non-power related combat. Which you'll almost never do as the powers are too useful to not use and the only drawback is that they make you instantly recognizable as Mercer which isn't really an issue.
- By pressing and holding an attack button, you can do an extra-powerful attack. This can stun hunters, and if you're lucky (and it's easier when they're alone), you can stun-lock them for an entire combo.
- The upgraded stealth kill makes the stealth kill quicker, which is nice, but not necessary. It doesn't make it any easier to perform a stealth kill.