Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
From Before I Play
- Although you may be tempted to control the game exclusively with your mouse. I find that using keyboard only controls the game better especially in combat. Use your left hand to control movement around wasd and attacking using p, ; and /.
- Keep a eye out for Mantras written on walls and scrolls. They are used at shrines to improve your stats. Each level has at least one shrine.
- You can write notes on your map. Take note of anything and anyone that you come across as you may need to return later.
- As mentioned earlier for fighter classes you need to maximise strength as there is no in game way of improving it.
- I'd recommend using swords as your primary weapon. One of the best swords in the game is required to complete the game.
- Don't hurry down the stairs too quickly. Spend the time exploring levels and improving your abilities.
- On the first level of the abyss go straight ahead and take the first door to the right. Immediately to your right there is a secret door. Behind that is the silver seed. Take it and plant it anywhere there is dirt. Any time you die you will be resurrected at the tree.
- Take note of any visions you receive. Especially ones from crystal balls. You'll know why when it happens.
- There are a couple of fountains on the first two levels that can heal you up. Find them and take note on your map.
- Carry a long pole with you at all times as it can be used to activate switches that are out of your reach. If you have a spare pole combine it with thread to make a fishing rod.
- Try and find the ring of levitation and the dragon scale boots.
- Late on in the game you will be asked to find a corpse. The corpse in question is tucked away on level 8. It will be the set of bones that don't stack.
- There are a few items you will need that may not seem obvious a first. Such as (SPOILERS) a crown, a bottle of port, a flute, thread, a recipe and it's ingredients, incense(you'll need to light up). Anything with a special sounding name(obviously).
- END GAME SPOILER. Just run and don't turn back. A path back to Britannia is before you.
- Deco Morono.