From Before I Play
- Every time you die, replace your shit immediately because the default stuff is terrible
- You NEED to go through levels fast, or the SOB will push your shit in. DO NOT FULLY EXPLORE LEVELS because this will be a terrible idea almost all of the time.
- You can run past the SOB when he's reloading after a burst, so hide, then bust ass to get away from him.
- Remember: the path to the exit will never require you to open an unlocked door. (locked doors may lead to it, but no guarantees)
- Each cooler section (they come in sets of 3 levels) will tend to have the same stuff, so once you find stuff you like and you start maxing out your meds/ammo, you should try to buzz through levels without picking fights, and you may want to avoid opening some rooms as a result.
- There's a way to tell you're headed the wrong way and are going away from the exit: you'll stop seeing spraypainted stuff on the walls
- You can use stuff directly from a container/body, which is very helpful if you don't have inventory space left. This works for extra bum bags and fanny packs too. It's good for using medistims from a locker when you're already at the item limit for them.
- Speaking of which, you should try to stock up on the 3 types of bum bags so you can have them whenever you go in a cooler and have a more reasonable inventory size.
- Melee is extremely useful and you should use it a lot, even if you have plenty of ammo.
- Lure enemies into traps or radioactive shit or other monsters so they can get taken out without you having to do anything or put yourself in danger. If you hang out next to a room, a lot of times enemies inside will fight themselves or trigger traps and such.
- Make sure you empty your courier box when you get home, or else it will still be full for your next run...
- ...unless you want to stash some extra goodies like meds or ammo in it so you can restock if you find a mailbox.
- Actually, if you're planning on going up against a boss, you'll want to sock away some medstims and maybe solid bread in there so you can pick them up later.
- Talk to people in town to pick up a quest now and then, and always spend the TP to buff up at the drink stand before you go in; 30 TP is really cheap.
- Unmarked flasks are optional; keep this in mind because there are a lot of bad effects and you may want to just avoid them entirely if you're running a good character
- For the love of god, do not play this game with a controller unless you enjoy handicapping yourself severely
- Coolers go to level 11 where you fight a boss. Hang in there!