- An island won't be set up for the next shine you can collect there until you've left the island and come back. It's safest to go to another island to get it to reset. I believe if you hear the music change that means you've gone far enough.
- Every lighthouse has five shines to collect, as shown by the holes running up the front of the lighthouse.
- One of the island changes its shape between visits. You won't be able to get all five chat shine shards from this island until its the final shape.
- Each shine you collect apart from the last one puts a ground-poundable power-up at the top of the lighthouse, if you need to top up.
- Even if you collect all of the Shines in a section of the world map, you need to fight Bowser with the giant cat bell to open up the next section.
- The giant cat bells respawn during the fight with Bowser. If you're turned back into regular Mario there should be one available somewhere on the map.
- The blocks with Bowser's face on them can only be broken by Bowser's fire-breathing attack.
- After you beat the final battle the remaining shines will be revealed to you on the map, and you'll be able to warp around the map.
- Throughout the game there are three challenges where you bring cats to a larger cat. The cats disappear if you touch the water while you carry them, and the challenges are designed so that you carry them back on foot. However you can jump onto Plessie while holding the cat and it'll jump on Plessie's back, which makes the challenges easier towards the end of the game.