The Legend Of Dragoon
From Before I Play
- You have a small item limit, and you get given lots of items. Don't be afraid to use your items, especially attack items, since they're your only way of inflicting element damage.
- Defending is actually useful as it recovers 1/10th of max HP in addition to your defence boost. It's more useful than it sounds.
- Build up all your additions. You'll need to to unlock your last one(which is the strongest).
- Related to this, early on there's an enemy who puts up a shield blocking all phys damage. I smell 'training target'.
- There are some seriously expensive items in a town mid-game. It's not especially wise to grind for the armours, but consider the auto-addition items.
- You'll want an FAQ for the Stardust pieces.
- The difficulty for the game is a little wonky. There are a couple of brick wall boss fights that you can run into. If you want to get through the game without faceplanting against a nightmare of a boss:
- Every time you get an addition, max it out. If you get another addition, don't move on until you max that one out, too. Having maxed out additions gives you a tremendous boost in offense, which you'll need for several of the bosses. With some characters, the boost in damage via additions is so large, the normal physical combos overshadows any and all special attacks.
- I'd honestly recommend using a stardust FAQ and a repeatable item location FAQ. I'm pretty sure some of them are missable, permanently.
- Speed is very, very, very important. A fast character can use items, attack, defend (for 10% HP back), so on and so forth, while a slow character usually has limited options. The difference speed makes is huge, with faster characters taking multiple turns over slower characters. Fast characters tend to do less physical damage, but the amount of times they attack more than make up for it.
- Meanwhile, magic defense is more important than regular defense, because the majority of heavy-damage boss attacks are magic based. So, ideally, you'll want fast characters with a reasonable magic defense in your main party.
- Make sure to level all your characters, there are several times throughout the game where you are forced to use a character.