Ys: Memories of Celceta
From Before I Play
- Don't bother using ingots to upgrade your equipment. Refining ingots costs coal (so you could run out when you need to refine something specific) and you often need them for making accessories, which I found to be more important. That said, go to town with your beast/plant materials because you will likely have an endless supply of something good in either. It's better to refine a few of everything (5-10 each) and maintain that stock rather than making 6+ every time you get new equipment.
- Don't just blindly get rid of your materials in an exchange. I try to keep around ~100 of the base stuff just in case. Beyond that, feel free to exchange/sell off extra.
- It may be kind of a pain, but there's no need to buy more than three sets of good armor. Just swap it in/out as you change party members. Often times you will pick up free ones in chests in the next dungeon anyway, so you'll be wasting money if you buy 6 sets right away.
- For boss fights don't forget to swap in party members to give yourself an attack boost (so have two members of the same attribute). Bosses don't drop stuff to my recollection and none are weak to an attribute so there's no need to go for the Rare Drop party boost.
- This may sound kind of strange or even obvious, but if you want to refill your SP gauge wait until your boost is filled up (your lead character will glow blue for a moment). If you hit an enemy afterwards, you get a lot of SP. And it works on everything, even enemy carcases. It only takes a few seconds each time and can make grinding skills a lot more manageable.