From Before I Play
- There shouldn't be anything you can permanently miss in this game, as you can revisit past areas. (Correction: you can permanently miss the Cloud Sword if you don't pick it up, same for the Beat Knuckle, and if you don't trade the soldier at the campfire an Army Knife for his Ja Dagna, that's locked too. There's also Anti-Slash, which is bugged out the ass, which you can miss maxing if you get 49 Slash stat before maxing Anti-Slash. Or you could just cheat.)
- Give it a shot and see where you lie; it's one of those "love it or hate it" games. If you end up not liking it, don't force yourself to continue playing.
- If you do like it, find a good guide for it online. I found that having a guide handy didn't detract from the flow of the game but rather enhanced it by making sure I was in the right places at the right times. It's pretty easy to miss costumes, weapons, and items if you don't know where to look.
- Don't forget your stickers (you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there).
- Cook as much as you can to boost your skill. The game isn't necessarily difficult but the nature of the battle system means you'll be doing a ton of grinding to get anywhere.
- Go in with an open mind. There's a lot wrong with that game, but there's some good stuff too.
- Use a guide to get the suits. They're what makes the gameplay interesting, and some of them are kind of in odd or out-of-the-way places.