From Before I Play
- Always, always move.
- The biggest tip regarding Serious Sam is what enemy to target. Generally, you should target Beheaded Kamikazes first because they can do a shitload of damage, especially if they gang up on you. From there, it depends on the situation, but generally melee enemies like the Kleer Skeletons and the Bulls should be taken out before moving onto projectile-firing enemies.
- Something the game doesn't make obvious is that you can destroy certain enemy projectiles, such as the Green Lizardman's projectiles and the Red Mech's rockets.
- You can charge up the Grenade Launcher's projectiles by holding down the fire button. This makes it do more damage than an uncharged grenade, but most importantly, a charged grenade goes much faster and further than an uncharged it, which makes it a surprisingly good long-range weapon.
- The Rocket Launcher's projectiles are slow, but this can be used to your advantage. Fire a volley of rockets at one enemy that's far away, then switch to another weapon and deal with enemies closer to you. While you're fighting the other enemies, the rocket volley will kill the long-distance one you targeted earlier.
- The Cannon also has a charge-up mechanic that works just like the Grenade Launcher's, but there is a substantial difference between an uncharged and a charged shot, damage-wise. A charged shot is powerful enough to kill anything up to a Red Mech in one shot, can plow through many more enemies than an uncharged shot, and can fly much farther.
- The Pump Shotgun and Tommy Gun are great for taking out Kamikazes.
- Take advantage of large battlefields by trying to lure enemies into open fields. It's a lot easier dodging enemies and their projectiles in an open space than trying to do so in a place littered with houses or whatever.
- If you ever plan on playing in Serious difficulty, grab one of the guides that lists all of the secrets in the game because the secrets have extra items and early weapons because you will need everything you can to survive.
- The Sniper Rifle is stronger than a rocket to the face when zoomed in. This is very useful against enemies like Chainsaw Guys and Zumb'uls, annoying enemies that can be killed in one zoomed-in Sniper shot.
- Red Demon's projectiles can be destroyed with a few lasers. Nothing else will destroy them.
- The Colt, Tommy Gun, Minigun and Sniper Rifle have perfect accuracy.
- Don't underestimate the Colt revolver. It's perfect accuracy and unlimited ammo makes it ideal against weak enemies that are far-away. It's also useful against long-distance Harpies if you don't have the Sniper Rifle.
- In The Second Encounter, the Chainsaw and Flamethrower are devastating against the tiny frogs and Kleer Skeletons.
- Be aware that you will lose your non-Shotgun ammo after completing the “Metropolis” level in The First Encounter.
- In TSE, you will be stripped of all your weapons except the single Colt revolver and knife when you start a new episode.
- If you're in a tight spot in TSE, use your Serious Bomb. It kills every enemy on screen, but the downside is that you don't get points for the kills.