From Before I Play
- The game is a lot more difficult than standard Doom, so don't do the standard Doom thing where you just walk into a room and shoot stuff until everything is dead. You need to exploit line of sight, you need that armor and equipment, and you need be sure that the perks you select on level-up really support the playstyle you are going for. This game is lethal as hell, pun entirely intended.
- There is also a good number of secret levels where you can sometimes find unique stuff, both enemies and equipment. Keep an eye out for those.
- Play with sound on, it's actually super useful. As an example, you can shoot a shotgun past the point you can see so that the spread hits an enemy out of normal range and knocks them back. If the enemy can't shoot you, they'll keep trying to step back up towards you and you can tend to chip some of the bigger enemies down that way safely. You can shoot around corners too.
- Definitely look up what the perks do and have a plan, as some are exclusive to others, and later perks have requirements of specific earlier perks.
- The crafting system can be useful if you at least know what some of the common stuff is.
- DoomRL isn't as ball busting as some of the other roguelikes, but it's still difficult, so don't get discouraged and just try and learn a little each run. You'll find you can make a surprising amount of headway just by learning as you go.
- Your class and the master traits available to it are really important. I remember liking Gun Kata, Sharpshooter, Ammochain, and Scavenger.
- Pistols can be effective as long as you’re down with crafting which you should be anyway.
- Firing/reloding time is more important than you’d initially think. Extra shots and quick reloads make a huge difference.
- Vision radius is pretty important as eventually you can possibly see further than enemies can, and pound them with rockets or the BFG with impunity.
- Red stairs lead to special levels, some of which can fuck you up if you're not ready for them.