Final Fantasy V
From Before I Play
- It's a good idea to have a lot of Job variety in your group to learn as many different skills as possible. Having Jobs that use different armor and weapon types also ensures you can make use of most stuff you find which saves you money.
- The "default Job" Bare/Freelancer gets the passive abilities of all classes you've mastered with few exceptions (like AutoBerserk) and the highest base stats of any mastered classes, eventually making them the most powerful Job. For example mastering Ninja allows Freelancers to dual-wield whereas mastering Thief lets them sprint and see hidden paths in addition to gaining a sizeable Speed bonus.
- Monk is one of the best damage dealing classes early in the game, and once mastered, the base Job gains the useful Counter skill.
- Blue Mages seem worthless at first glance, but learning the right skills makes them one of the strongest Jobs in the game. Some spells worth looking out for include Aqua Breath, Mighty Guard, Level 5 Death, Death Claw, and White Wind. A full list and their locations can be found on the official wiki, though a spoiler warning is obviously in order: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Magic_(Final_Fantasy_V)
- Some especially good Job skills worth looking out for include Two-Handed (Knight lvl 3), Rapid Fire (Ranger lvl 4) and Dual-Wield (Ninja lvl 5) amongst others. Learning (Blue Mage lvl 2) is worth giving to as many people as possible whenever you're aiming to learn an enemy skill.
- Especially later in the game when you have a lot of gil to spare, the level 2 Samurai skill Zeninage can deal massive fixed damage to all enemies in exchange for some money. It's particularly good in certain recurring boss fights which require killing multiple targets on the same turn.
- Many bosses are vulnerable to a specific element, so try them all out to find their weaknesses. Some status effects can work on bosses too.
- The statues you can fight in the basement of Castle Bal roughly halfway through the game are a good source of Ability Points, and they're vulnerable to both Gold Needles and the blue mage spell Level 5 Death. Don't bother trying to master all jobs or anything there though.