Metal Gear Solid 3
From Before I Play
- Dpad sneaks otherwise guards will hear you.
- B/O button + Direction CQC slam is amazing.
- Play with free camera or whatever it is that takes out the horrible camera angles from the original release.
- Killing people makes a bossfight later in the game longer based on how many people you kill. Alternately if you want to murder tons of people and suffer no punishment just lie down in the river the fight takes place in.
- 80%-85% index is great camo and good enough for most situations.
- Try to avoid the temptation to switch camouflage every couple of minutes. You don't need 90% camo all of the time. For most areas, Tiger Stripe camo and Woodland facepaint works well.
- The button sensitivity can screw you over sometimes. Hold the CQC button too hard when grabbing and you'll slit the dude's throat. Release the Weapon button too slow and you won't fire. Be careful!
- A guard will stay asleep for longer than he will stay KO'd, so if you CQC slam a guy and plan to be on that map for a while you might consider sticking a needle in his face.
- Enemy bases usually contain food storerooms. If you destroy these with TNT, guards in that and nearby areas get hungry. This means they complain loudly about being hungry (easy to hear), they will be knocked out with only a single unarmed combo, and they will rush to eat any food that they see, even poisonous or rotten food. You pass through most areas too quickly for this to be much use, but you spend a lot of time in the final base (you'll know it when you see it) so it's worth destroying the food there.
- You can also destroy ammo storehouses, which will mean attacking guards will run out of ammo and switch to sidearms and, eventually, knives, but this is even less useful.
- In a couple of sections, you will be disguised. You can't use any weapons while disguised except for the cigarette sleep-spray gun and the chloroform handkerchief, both of which you find in the first disguise area. If you need to shoot something or plant TNT then make sure you're alone and switch to regular camo for a split second.
- The chloroform handkerchief's attack is to wave it around and, hopefully, knock out whoever you wave it at, but it has a second function - if you equip it and CQC hold someone they fall asleep instantly.
- If you ever think to yourself while playing "hmm, I wonder if I can do this?" then odds are you probably can.
- If you're playing a PS2 version, save when in a jail late in the game, and then load the save for a surprise. Unfortunately said surprise is absent from the HD version.