Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
From Before I Play
- The first and foremost tip is always keep a good stack of wands (Paralysis, Sleep, and Confuse are the best, Stayaway is good but lower-tier), some Orbs in case things get nasty (or you run into a Monster Hous - oom packed with tons of enemies that are regular strength but ruin your day with their sheer numbers), and don't be afraid to eat your Oran Berries and bring a ton of Tiny/Normal Revive Seeds.
- PSMD has pretty short floors, so don't worry too much about filling your inventory with apples and shit. Bring the more important stuff made to keep your enemies in check and your party from wiping.
- Range skills are king. 2-range is okay. Psybeam is a pretty low-level skill for Fennekins, so if you or your partner is a Fennekin, you'll have a nice sniper in your party. You can't buy TMs for ranged attacks until much later in the game, so be careful... but you can get them just so you know ahead of time, you don't need to build your party around pokemon that inherently learn long-range attacks.
- As I mentioned, you can eventually just buy TMs for good ranged attacks, but I think Bulbasaur gets Bullet Seed (both long-range and multi-hit, which is the topmost of top-tier skills in PMD games, short of attacks that hit the entire room and boost your stats) so it's not like that'll be much of a problem. You can make pretty much any starter pair work, whether or not you survive dungeons is more down to how careful you are at exploring than team comp.
- Later on the game will introduce a mechanic where certain pokemon who join you will be "enthusiastic" to go on an adventure and you get pretty nice bonuses for using them. Sometimes they're completely shit-tier like, I dunno, Azurill + Caterpie + Rattata and you'll still be able to clear a run as long as you play smart.