Super Mario Odyssey
From Before I Play
- You aren't meant to get all the moons in a kingdom the first time through. In fact, it's impossible to get all the moons in a kingdom the first time through. So just have a chill time and follow the intended path and maybe go out of your way for a moon or three if it looks like it will be an interesting one to get. As soon as you find yourself getting bored with a kingdom, go on to the next one.
- You can do fine without fancy trick jumps with the hat, but long jump -> hat throw -> dive into hat -> hat throw -> dive is a combo that gets you across very long distances and makes you feel cool. It looks intimidating but it feels very natural once you get the rhythm for it. Don't sweat it if you can't do it, you won't really need it except maybe for some post-game challenges.
- Every side area has one obvious moon and one hidden moon. If you aren't sure if you got both moons, Cappy will tell you when you re-enter if there's a moon left or any purple coins still there.
- You can fast travel to checkpoint flags from your map.
- Mario can get his nips out at any time so be prepared for that.
- Shaking the controllers gives you some special moves or speeds up ones you can already do, but if you aren't playing docked you can also mash the Y button to get the same result most of the time. That's not always the case but it often is.